IF YOU HARMED THE LEAST OF THESE, UNDERSTAND WHY I TAKE IT PERSONALLY
By Krstafer Pinkerton
Look closely at this photograph.
Behind me, written high enough that everybody passing through town can see it:
JOHN 3:16.
Most people know the verse.
But I sometimes wonder whether we understand what it demands of us.
“For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son…”
Love gave.
Love acted.
Love cost something.
Christianity was never supposed to be a bumper sticker, a cross around the neck, a Bible sitting unopened on a desk, or a verse painted twenty feet high on the side of a building while suffering human beings are ignored underneath it.
And that is why I am pointing at you.
Not every one of you.
The one who knows what he did.
The attorney who knowingly helped bury the truth.
The manager who knew an elderly owner could not fight back.
The official who received the complaint and chose convenience over duty.
The professional who hid behind credentials.
The board member who knew something was wrong and voted for it anyway.
The institution that discovered protecting itself was easier than protecting the people it supposedly existed to serve.
The person who watched somebody vulnerable being crushed and decided:
Not my problem.
Scripture says something very different.
Jesus said:
“To the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.” — Matthew 25:40
Think about the gravity of that.
Christ does not describe the suffering of vulnerable people as something distant from him.
He identifies himself with them.
Jehovah similarly described his people with extraordinary tenderness, saying that the one touching them was touching “the pupil of my eye.” — Zechariah 2:8
The eye is one of the most sensitive parts of the human body.
Touch it and the entire body reacts.
So if I am really trying to imitate Christ, I cannot watch somebody prey upon the elderly, frightened, poor, isolated, disabled, widowed, uninformed, outnumbered, or financially trapped and shrug my shoulders.
Their pain has to matter to me.
Their burden has to become partly mine.
Because Galatians 6:2 says:
“Go on carrying the burdens of one another, and in this way you will fulfill the law of the Christ.”
That is the part of Christianity people sometimes leave out.
Everybody likes mercy when they need it.
Everybody likes forgiveness when they have failed.
Everybody likes John 3:16.
But the same Bible tells us:
“Learn to do good; seek justice, correct the oppressor, defend the rights of the fatherless child, and plead the cause of the widow.” — Isaiah 1:17
And:
“Speak up in behalf of the speechless… Defend the rights of the lowly and the poor.” — Proverbs 31:8, 9
That is not passive religion.
That is faith with work boots on.
So understand something about me.
If you have harmed these people, I am coming.
But understand precisely what that means.
I am not coming with violence.
I am not coming with vengeance.
I am not coming to become the very thing I oppose.
I am coming with questions.
I am coming with records.
With minutes.
With contracts.
With amendments.
With emails.
With financial statements.
With public records.
With timelines.
With witnesses.
With statutes.
With sworn testimony.
With discovery.
With investigative journalism.
With sunlight.
And when the facts justify it, with lawful accountability before the institutions created to administer justice.
Because the Hunter does not hunt human beings.
He hunts the truth.
The Ghost Writer does not need your permission to follow a paper trail.
And corruption has one ancient enemy it has never learned how to defeat:
LIGHT.
Jesus said that whoever practices vile things hates the light because he does not want his works exposed.
That principle has not changed in two thousand years.
Corruption still prefers darkness.
Fraud still prefers confusion.
Institutional abuse still prefers fragmented records.
Cowardice still prefers silence.
And sophisticated wrongdoing often survives because everybody sees only one little piece.
One attorney sees the legal document.
One accountant sees the money.
One manager sees the operation.
One regulator sees the complaint.
One legislator sees the statute.
One bank sees the transaction.
One homeowner sees the assessment.
And everybody says:
“I only know my part.”
That is exactly why an investigator crosses the silos.
You put the pieces beside one another.
You follow the money.
You compare what was promised with what was done.
You compare the minutes with the contract.
The contract with the payment.
The payment with the statute.
The statute with the lobbying.
The lobbying with the beneficiaries.
The public statement with the private record.
And eventually what looked like isolated events begins revealing a structure.
That is what evil hates.
Not anger.
Exposure.
Not shouting.
Evidence.
Not threats.
Memory.
Because documents remember what powerful people hoped ordinary people would forget.
And THAT is what this photograph means to me.
A cowboy hat.
A working town.
Railroad tracks.
Storm clouds gathering.
A finger pointed directly into the lens.
And behind me, enormous enough that nobody can pretend they missed it:
JOHN 3:16.
That verse is not decoration.
It is the standard.
If God loved people enough to give what was most precious to him, then claiming to imitate Christ while exploiting the vulnerable is a contradiction that deserves to be exposed.
You cannot praise Jesus on Sunday and financially devour widows on Monday.
You cannot quote Scripture while manufacturing darkness around the truth.
You cannot call yourself a servant while treating human beings as revenue streams.
You cannot preach integrity and then become strangely incurious when wrongdoing benefits your institution.
And you cannot convince me that Christian love requires silence in the presence of evil.
Sometimes love feeds someone.
Sometimes love forgives someone.
Sometimes love sits beside somebody who is grieving.
And sometimes love stands between the vulnerable and the person hurting them and says:
ENOUGH.
If you did it to the least of these, Christ said you did it to him.
If you touched those precious to God, Scripture compares it to touching the pupil of his eye.
So yes, when somebody abuses people who cannot adequately defend themselves, I take it personally.
Not because I am their savior.
I am not.
Not because I am their judge.
I am not.
But because I refuse to become the man who saw suffering and walked to the other side of the road.
My responsibility is simpler:
Find the truth.
Preserve the evidence.
Speak for people whose voices are being drowned out.
Expose darkness to light.
Demand lawful accountability.
Carry part of the burden.
And leave judgment where judgment ultimately belongs: with God.
That, to me, is what it means to put Christianity into motion.
Not merely believing John 3:16.
Living like it is true.
And if darkness is hiding behind money, prestige, political influence, professional credentials, organizational titles, legal language, or a polished public reputation?
Then understand the finger in this photograph.
I see you.
And I am going to keep following the evidence.
Evidence before allegiance.
Because when the least of these are being harmed, silence is not the law of Christ.

Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário